Friday, July 25, 2014

New InfraWorks Essentials Datasets Coming Soon

If you have purchased my InfraWorks Essentials book and you're trying to work through the exercises using the latest version of InfraWorks (released earlier this month), then you might be having a few minor challenges. For one, you will be prompted to upgrade the models when you open them and InfraWorks will go through a process of doing so if you accept.
Once you've opened the models you may see some strangeness relating to missing styles and or model extents that don't match what the book is showing or discussing. This has to do with some changes in the way that the latest version works and the way in which it translates models from the older version to the newer one. I'll elaborate in a future post once the new datasets are ready.
Which brings me to the main purpose of this post. I'm working on providing an updated version of the datasets along with notes outlining differences between the what's depicted in the book and what you'll see when using  the latest version of InfraWorks. More importantly, the notes will explain how to get around those differences. Stay tuned for more information and keep checking back here to see if the new data and notes have been posted. I hope to have these ready and posted by the end of the month.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Eric,

    Just getting ready to teach a class using your book. Are the data sets updated? I'm assuming I have the updated files because I haven't been prompted to update them (I'm using 15.2). Our class computers have 15.1 so I need to know if I should update the class computers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! They are available. Please see this post: http://ericchappell.blogspot.com/2014/08/new-infraworks-essentials-datasets.html

      Delete